Saturday, September 27, 2008

The Presidential Debate

In last night's debate I was actually a little disappointed. A lot of what each candidate was saying was fluff and not backed up by much. Another problem I found was my lack of knowledge in some of the areas they were debating about. Before this class I never paid attention to news and politics, so some of what the candidates were talking about I didn't know what it meant or what was going on. However, both candidates seemed well organized and prepared. They answered the questions well and with overall poise. It got a little more interesting when tempers got up a little bit. I think that shows passion for their opinion and like they actually mean what they say. Looking at the debate in whole I think Barack Obama did a better job and he would get about a 7 out of 10 if I were to rate him. He seemed ready for every questions and he spoke with confidence.
Most of what Obama was saying I agreed with. That's why I chose him for the first blog question. If I had to pick out something I diagreed with though I think it'd have to be about is Iraq. I think this whole topic is very ambiguous. It's hard to tell really what's the right plan of action. We can add more troops and make sure Iraq really is won or we can start taking some troops out and force Iraq to stand on their own. Of course we bit off a little more than we can chew by starting this war and we have our own problems we should focus on before trying to help other countries. But if we start a war we shouldn't just be like oh crap let's stop before it gets worse. Anything in life I think you shouldn't start something unless your confident you can finish it. In a war, other countries might think we're really not that strong and we'll lose power by backing out and not finishing what we started. This kind of thing has happened before during Vietnam. History repeats itself and we should have learned from that experience how to handle future wars but I guess not. All of Obama's other ideas I agree with. His plans for the economy and other small issues I think are the stronger plan. Even though people may think he doesn't have enough experience I believe he can step up and lead a country especially during a particulary rough time like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home